Premier League Review: Week 8

After a nil, nil draw in the early game everybody was hoping for more goals in the three o’clock games and that is exactly what we got.

Let’s start with the story of the weekend, Palace. An amazing 2-1 victory over the Champions Chelsea brought them their only two goals of the season. The game got off to the perfect start when Cabaye’s shot bounced off Azpilicueta and flew into the net. This put Palace ahead in just the eleventh minute. But this lead lasted a mere seven minutes when Bakayoko had an open header in the centre of the box from a corner. It looked like Chelsea would now dominate as Hazard was starting to go past players. But Zaha, returning from injury, made a huge impact on the stroke of halftime. Slotting the ball past Courtois and gave Palace a very important lead. It was now a case of defending but Chelsea were starting to dominate again. It was only when Jason Puncheon came on and started to settle the ship and Palace now looked certain to win and they held on.

The second game we have to talk about is Man City’s 7-2 abomination of Stoke. Last time these teams met it was a 1-1 draw but this game was completely different. In the seventeenth minute City capitalised on a Stoke mistake when Walker squared it to Jesus the he had an easy finish. There next goal came just a minute later when de Bruyne past a defence splitting ball to Sane who squared it to Sterling. David Silva scored the next one another ball across the box another pass past the keeper. Stoke now looked to come back a Diouf shot from just inside the box deflected off Delph and looped up over Edison. Then ninety seconds into the second half Diouf nearly struck again a great ball in from the debutant Edwards hit Diouf on the head but ended up coming off Walker and going in, so it was 3-2 going into the rest of the second half. A mistake from Zouma, made an early ball from de Bruyne set up Jesus in his stride to smash it over Butland. The next goal was from Fernadinho Stoke failed to clear it from the corner and lead to the Brazilian scoring a screamer from outside of the box. In the sixty-second-minute City struck again an exquisite ball from de Bruyne again let Sane slip it threw the legs of Butland. Then the seventh another easy pass past the keeper from Bernado Silva and City have hit five goals again.

The next game was the late game Arsenal vs Watford, this was Watford’s first victory at home in this 2-1 victory over the Gunners. In the first half there were not many chances until the thirty-ninth minute when Mertasacker headed in from the corner. The chances kept going to Arsenal until the start of the second half when the ball was just a bit high for a header for Deeney. Then two great saves from Gomes kept Watford in it. Then there was the penalty, a controversial decision as Bellerin did not appear to touch the man but it was given and Troy Deeney converted it. Then a few minutes after, Capoue’s shot was deflected off Mertesacker and hit the post. Then in added time a deflected Holebas’ shot fell to Deeney who had his shot saved which fell to Cleverley who smashed it home. Same old Arsenal not being able to take their chances and they were punished.

The Next match is Swansea’s 2-0 win over Huddersfield. Jordan Ayew had an early chance which he put wide. Hudderfield in their strange to say the least away kit, nearly had a goal as well when Ince skied it from six yards out. Ince then had another chance as he was taken down as he was prancing into the box but the referee stayed still. Then came Swansea’s first goal, a massive mistake from the Huddersfield keeper when he passed straight to Tom Carroll who squared to Abraham who doesn’t miss from there. The Swans’ second goal came at the start of the second half a delicate chip from Ayew and it was finished by Abraham. A good victory from Swansea they will want more of that to come.

The penultimate game is Spurs vs the Cherries. Spurs dominated all the way, with the occasional Cherries chance and a few amazing stops from Lloris, but struggled to find a breakthrough eventually at the start of the second half Son passed to Eriksen who powered into the box and managed to slot it past Begovic. Bournemouth will be desperate to pick up their form and get more points on the board.

The final game is the match of the Claret and blues, Burnley vs West Ham and it turned out to be a 1-1 draw. The first goal came in the nineteenth minute with Antonio getting onto the end of the long ball, poked it round the keeper and finished it. Then eight minutes later Andy Carroll gets sent off for two yellow cards in two minutes for elbows up when jumping for the ball. Then Hart got away with a penalty shout when he took down Wood in the box. It looked a lot like a penalty. Now Burnley were pressing and eventually in the eighty-fifth minute Gudmundsson put in a great ball and Wood finished it off.

A great weekend of football so far we can look forward Sunday.  Tomorrow there will be a similar post for the Football league called Football League focus so look out for that.